Monday 8 July 2013

It's My Party And I'll Blog If I Want To.

I was recently asked to design a birthday invitation for my twin nieces' upcoming birthday.  To be honest, I'm not a big fan of designing for friends and family.  I've done other invitations in the past, CD covers, logo design and business stationery and I always have the same fears: what if they don't like it but say they do to spare my feelings?  Or, equally bad, they hate it and actually tell me!  So I end up over thinking what should often be the easiest task.

Anyway, the requirements for the invitation were:  Simple.  Girly.  Pink.  A bit vintage-y if possible.  My nieces are your typical girly-girls who love to dress up as fairies, wear headbands with big bows on them and occasionally spend a minimum of two hours pretending to be kitties.

So here is what I came up with:








I was really pushing for the first design but my sister decided to go with the second and I was able to modify it slightly for the one boy who was being invited (a bonus service that only comes from being related to the designer).  I know she made the right decision.  The girl's do love their pinks and greens and tea party imagery (big thanks to the talented folk at VectorStock for the tea cup and cupcake) and it does have a simple elegance to it, if I do say so myself.

The girls turn four this Sunday.  I'm going to miss the three year old versions of them, with their funny interpretations of the world and their idiosyncrasies but I'm also looking forward to watching them morph into the fabulous fours as they learn more about the world and their places in it.

Happy Birthday Grace and Lily,

xoxoxo

5 comments:

  1. Lol,I loved the first one too, so with you there!
    And I too like to pretend I'm a pussy cat, especially on mornings like this one where it's so cold you feel like curling in a ball & going back to sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Lucky girls! Oh wait - they're mine!
    Fanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have happily taken all of them! I've said it many times and I'm sure I'll say it many more times in the future... your work is gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete