Friday 3 January 2014

The Colour Purple

Happy New Year, you old son of a gun.  Long time, no blog.

I was just sitting here, thinking about colour, as you do on a dull Saturday afternoon where everything outside looks like fifty shades of grey (hey, that sounds like a good title for a book) and I was wondering where is all the Summer colour?  Better yet, what will the colour trends be for 2014?  And thirdly, why is there a dodgy looking man standing in my front yard?

The answer to the first question is easy.  I live in Melbourne so Summer and all her glorious colours will arrive when she damn well pleases.  

The answer to the second question is...drumroll...


The colours are, from top to bottom: Dazzling Blue, Radiant Orchid,
Placid Blue, Violet Tulip, Freesia, Celosia Orange, Paloma, Hemlock,
Cayenne and Sand



Pantone, authority in all things colourful have selected the ten colours above as what to look for in fashion, beauty and interiors this year.  The Dazzling Blue doesn't really dazzle me and I can only take orange as strong as Celosia Orange in small doses but I definitely see some winners with the other eight colours.  

If we look at wedding themes I can certainly picture Radiant Orchid, Cayenne, Hemlock and Sand appearing in bridesmaids dresses through to reception decor and flowers and I can already picture fun, summery wedding stationery in simple Black with touches of Freesia.    

From the ten colours, Radiant Orchid was chosen as Pantone Colour of the Year 2014 and I can see why.  Let's take a closer look.

Pretty, yes?
Purple is considered regal and noble.  It can have a calming effect and can also inspire creativity.  It's one of my personal favourites and like the Freesia yellow I think a simple pairing with Black will make some eye catching stationery this year.


Some of these Pantone Spring colours will complement each other very well.  The neutral, warm beige tones of Sand make it a great colour to match up with bolder selections like Radiant Orchid and Cayenne.  So nice.


Radiant Orchid, Sand and Black

Sand, Paloma and Violet Tulip

Sand, Cayenne and Black


Of course, colour choice is subjective and just because a colour is in fashion it doesn't mean it has to be incorporated into your life.   

Colour your world however you want to.








   















1 comment:

  1. I love Hemlock, Paloma & Cayenne. I'd love these colours to be in my house.

    The answer to your third question??

    ReplyDelete